Press "Enter" to skip to content

Tips on Getting an Adult Learning Grant

If you have been searching for tips on getting an adult learning grant, you have come to the right place. Grants are money that gets awarded to you by the federal government, the college or university you plan to go to, private individuals or corporations that offer money to people going back to school after an extended absence. If you don’t plan on changing jobs then check with the human resources department where you work and see if they offer tuition reimbursement so you can get that promotion next time.

Grants never have to be repaid. There are several available and all are an excellent option that can afford you the opportunity to increase your level of knowledge in whatever field of study you are interested in.

The Federal Pell grant is available to you if you are a US citizen, your income is less than $50,000 per year and have enrolled in a college or university that participates in the Pell program. Grant awards vary from $1,000 to $5,550 per year based on what your income level is. To apply online, go to the FAFSA website and submit your free application. Pell grant applications can be filled out and sent in for the upcoming academic year, 2010-2011 starting July 1st.

The FSEOG or Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, may be available, as well, and as stated in the title, is an adult learning grant supplemental to the Pell grant. Awarded to Pell grant recipients first, the award varies from $200 to $4,000 per year. Ask your financial aid officer at the school you are planning to go to about the FSEOG because it may or may not be available, depending on the school. Requirements for eligibility are the same as for the Pell grant. Get your application in early.

The college or university you plan to attend may have other grants available such as, the Altrusa Grant Fund or the Alma Baron Second Chance for Women Grant both available at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for women who are returning to school after an extended absence. Check with your school to see if they have similar grants available.

Check with your state government, they may offer grants to people who are veterans of the various branches of the military. Your particular state will determine what the eligibility requirements are to apply for these grants.

Organizations offer grants for women who want or need to return to school. The Janette Rankin Foundation ( gives out awards up to $2,000 a year. Eligibility requirements include being a woman who is age 35 or older, a U.S. citizen, is enrolled in an appropriately accredited school, is pursuing a technical or vocational education, an associate’s degree, or a first bachelor’s degree and is considered low-income based on quidelines from the Department of Labor’s Lower Living Standard.

Do your research, find the grants you qualify for and fill out any and all applications as early and completely as possible to have the best chance at receiving your adult learning grant.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *